Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Fishing Reports / Fishing Report Tuesday August 7
« Last post by john davis on August 08, 2018, 08:36:11 AM »
I arrived at Riverside around 0730 to find the Wall Hole occupied and David' in what must be one of his favorite areas at the park, so I fished from the ramp upstream again. I caught my first fish not 10 feet off the bank, so when Jeff says to fish your way into the river he is right. Anyway I caught fish up to the power line crossing and back down to the top of the Wall Hole. The fish are healthy  strong, beautifully colored and I saw fish in all areas I fished.  Generation came in on schedule at 1300, which is good since the water was warming up. Another great day of summer fishing, John D
Fishing Reports / Re: Fishing Report Tuesday July 24
« Last post by texarkansan on July 28, 2018, 09:28:36 AM »
Thanks John!  I appreciate the advice about the Wall Hole - I guess it might have been rather obvious where it was, if I?d though about it, given the presence of the large wall!
« Last post by john davis on July 26, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »
Welcome to the area and the Ill Mo. The Wall Hole is at the Riverside access directly across and above the picnic pavilion. There is a wall there with walkway and small deck. I access the top end of the Wall Hole at the end of the walkway between two trees. You can wade across the top of the Wall Hole and fish mid river to far side. Just be careful wading since there are some large flat rocks that can be very slick. There is a drop off into the "hole" so don't wade too close. Anyway a great place to fish. I fished Tuesday and caught fish from the ramp used for stocking all the way up to where the power line crosses the river, as well as the wall hole. Once they start stocking again in late October, and especially after a few stockings, another great access is Hinds Bluff. It is very popular and can get really crowded. More on that later. Good choice in flies right now. John D
« Last post by texarkansan on July 26, 2018, 07:43:41 PM »
Hey, new guy here.  Moved down to Texarkana from central Arkansas not long back, so I?m new to the Little Mo.  Been doing most of my fishing over the last few years on the Little Red.  I?ve been up to the Little Mo. twice in the last couple of weeks (my first two trips) and did alright, especially using cahills and other light colored dries, and some wet flies.  Fished mostly near Riverside, but a little down near the River Ridge access, with less success at the latter.  I am still finding my way around, and not familiar with names for different spots.  Where?s the Wall Hole? 
« Last post by john davis on July 26, 2018, 09:08:16 AM »
Oh I forgot to mention that the guy fishing the Wall Hole caught 4 browns. And I think I overheard Mike say he had caught one recently as well.
Fishing Reports / Fishing Report Tuesday July 24
« Last post by john davis on July 25, 2018, 08:19:47 AM »
Well, I did make it back to the Ill Mo a week later. I arrived at Riverside about 0800 to find the Wall Hole occupied, and David down by what must be one of his favorite areas at the Park. Mike arrived a few minutes later. I walked in by the ramp and fished that area for a while. I then decided to go upstream and check it out. I started fishing again just above the power line crossing, sorry I don't know the name for that area. Without minimum flow the water is of course lower with quite a bit of grass, which is probably  typical  for  this time of year. The water was clear though and I caught fish down to just above the ramp. I was working downriver slowly and saw many fish. There was one school of about 10-12! David and Mike left, so I worked my way downriver aiming for the top of the Wall Hole close to the far bank. I never really got close but caught a few more fish all through the river in that area. Though I did not get his name, the guy at the Wall Hole was having quite the day, steadily catching fish. He said he started with a Light Cahill, then a Pheasant  Tail Nymph, and finished with a Red/Black BH Midge. With the later two he was more "catching".  I finished up the day fishing with him but on the wall side of the hole, and caught fish there as well. Yes the generation  drove us off the river at 1300 as scheduled. The water was getting warm so fresh water surely  had to help that. As I reported last week, I have never fished the river past Memorial Day due to work and home activities. So maybe I will slip back up there in a couple weeks. And there are a lot of fish in the river, so I hope they continue a generation pattern that keeps some cooler water coming through. It was a great day, I caught fish, met new people, and got home safely. John D
Generation Schedule & Conditions / July 20 and next week!
« Last post by Jeff Guerin on July 20, 2018, 11:26:02 AM »
Well, the CORPS might have been off by a week when I got the word about getting back to normal... Looks like the "extra" minimum is actually over.  :-\

SWEPCO is now showing a couple of hours of full generation today from 2:00 to 4:00 this afternoon. Nothing for Saturday or Sunday as of right now.

Next week:
Monday - noon to 7:00
Tues, Wed, Thurs - 1:00 to 7:00
Friday - 2:00 to 7:00
Saturday - 2:00 to 6:00
Sunday - 2:00 to 5:00

If our fish can get through this weekend they will start getting accustomed to normal summertime patterns. It's going to be a bit of a shock to them for a while!  8)
Fishing Reports / Re: Fishing Report Tuesday July 17
« Last post by pawpaw77 on July 18, 2018, 09:22:19 PM »
Fished Riverside today, my morning was much like yours one fish per fly.  There was no ripple on the water most of the day.  Best fly today was a cream soft hackle. Had the river to myself all day except for a couple of swimmers.
Fishing Reports / Re: Fishing Report Tuesday July 17
« Last post by Jeff Guerin on July 18, 2018, 12:47:38 PM »
Sounds like a nice day! Fairly similar to what we had last Friday...  8)

On the tippet question, not sure where tying fluorocarbon to regular nylon has ever been a problem! Been doing it for nearly thirty years!  :o

Don't know if the knot the guy has been using could cause him trouble. I've also been using barrel knots for at least as long as fluorocarbon, if not longer...
Fishing Reports / Fishing Report Tuesday July 17
« Last post by john davis on July 18, 2018, 08:11:56 AM »
I arrived just before 0800 Tuesday at Riverside to rain and three other people fishing from the area of the ramp and downriver. After rigging up I went to the Wall Hole where fish were active in the rain. I started with an Olive Lil Mo Wooly and got hits immediately.  It was weird though as I caught a fish, that was it. So after three flies and three fish, I decided to let the rain settle down a bit. I went back in as the rain came to a stop. Mike Ingram arrived and fished his way from well above the Wall Hole and was catching fish all the way down to the top of the Wall Hole closer to the far bank. He was using a white fly and was steadily  catching fish. We talked a bit before he left and I tied on a white jig and that seemed to do the trick. Mike came back by later and said he caught fish at River Ridge and Hinds Bluff. Looks like the minimum flow and May, June stockings is paying off! After lunch and still under some cloud cover I caught fish most of the afternoon on an A & W. Occasionally  there was a nice ripple on the water and the fish were active. As it was getting really hot I quite about mid afternoon. No use stressing the fish any more. This is the first time ever that I have fished the river past Memorial Day, but with the minimal flows and stocking it was well worth the trip!

On another note I was able to fish with our our oldest daughter Lauren in Colorado in June. We even had a guide day, which I rarely get to do. I guess I have a question though. As the guide was rigging the two rods I brought to use, he asked me about the tippet. When I told him it was Fluoro he then asked about the leader and proceeded to tell me you cannot tie fluoro tippert to nylon leader. He  cut off the perfectly good fluoro tippet and tied on nylon to the first fly. Ha guess I have been doing it wrong all this time! I didn't argue with him, but I have caught countless fish with that setup. Lauren and I fished together another day and regardless of how old your children get, it's  always more fun to watch them catch fish! John D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10