Author Topic: Felt soled waders banned  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Gator1

Felt soled waders banned
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:33:47 PM »
I finally got around to replacing my old wading shoes (fell apart during my last trip) and stopped at Bass Pro Shop to see what they had.  The salesman informed me that they didn't have Anything felt soled in my size and wouldn't any time soon since several States had banned them over concern that invasive algae was being spread around.  This is the first I've heard of this issue (was it on the old board?).  I admit I have often been lax in following the fishing news.

I ended up having to get lug soles for myself and son.  Is this the future?  How big a problem is this algae issue?

I suppose we will deal with what we have to deal with, but the rocks sure are slippery!  The wading staff is now more necessary then ever.

Jim

Offline TexasJack

Re: Felt soled waders banned
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:06:23 PM »
There are alot of options in waddin boots these days. You can find them with felt, klingon, studed felt, studed klingon and a type of crushed shell soles. I have a pair of Korkers which have interchangable soles in felt and klingon so I can wear them anywhere no matter what the laws are in the area I'm fishin.

Eliminating felt soles will not stop the spread of invasive algae, but knowledge can.
See ya on the water.....

TJ

Offline Gator1

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »
TJ,

I've just been reading up on this issue a bit and it certainly seems like the issue is here to stay.  At this point, we just don't get out to wade enough to justify too much expense.  It looks like it will be lug soles and careful movement in the short term. 

We still managed a pretty good couple of days with only one spill (my 13 year old was moving too fast for any sole to save him - good lesson)

In any case, the fish didn't seem too offended by my rubber soles....

Jim   

Offline TexasJack

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 11:22:06 PM »
My belief is if it works use it, never spend more than you have/need to and you can have fun fishin no matter what. Short version , you dont have to spend alot to catch alot.
See ya on the water.....

TJ

Offline jimr

• I tie flies to give trout something to laugh at.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 05:55:22 AM »
Jack, which pair of Korkers do you have? I have been wearing Korkers for about 10 years now. Mainly because you can change the soles to fit the area you are fishing. I have the studded felt, regular felt, deck soles (non marking rubber so you don't leave black marks on guide boats),and  regular rubber for hiking type soles. I like the studded felt soles but last year I slipped at the wall hole and got wet. So nothing really will keep you from the first fall. Have you tried the klingon soles yet and if you did, how did they work? I had only one issue with my felt soles. They came apart while fishing one day on the Little Mo. I called Korkers about it. Mainly just to let them know and to see if they could recommend a glue to fix the soles with. They were very nice and sent me a new pair for free. Customer relations was very good. They  have my business for life now. I saw a pair of Korkers last year at the festival. Don was suppose to order me a pair but I guess he forgot. Anyway I plan on getting a pair pretty soon.

Jimr

Offline jimr

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:32:26 AM »
I think it was whirling disease they are more concerned about more than algae. Although both are problems. Like Jack said, knowledge will help in stopping the spread of this problem. There are several sites with information on the ways to clean boots and other equipment. Not to downplay its' seriousness but I don't think  banning felt boots is the way to do it. That sounds like a knee jerk reaction. Some sites say just proper cleaning is what needs to be done. Lots of different opinions on this topic.

jimr

Offline TexasJack

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 01:45:09 PM »
JimR , I bought mine last year at the Festival from Mr. Jackson. I'll have to look to see which ones I have when I get home. They're the same ones Jeff has, that much I know.

Mine are Cross Current Korkers
See ya on the water.....

TJ

Offline LiteLines

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 06:31:43 PM »
well I had to replace my boots last yr, they were close to 10yrs old. I bought them from orvis when I started fly fishing, they were the felt soles and the cheapest that orvis had at the time, I think they were 79.00. well when i started looking to replace them, things had changed, i still went with the orvis, but i went with the studded soles. everyone was telling me that was the way to go that there soon wouldnt be any felt ones on the market. the studded soles in my opinion r the best thing that has happened to wading boots, i feel a whole lot safer in those than my old felt ones.

LD

Offline jimr

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »
Watch were you fish. Some places don't allow studded soles in the river. They say is scrapes off the algae. Just a fyi.

jimr

Offline TexasJack

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »
Pretty soon they'll be sayin fishin is bad for the rivers and lakes and ban it too. To many idiots in high up places if ya ask me and if ya didn't I'll still tell ya. Just my opinion.
See ya on the water.....

TJ

Offline jimr

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 06:23:56 AM »
They already say that Jack. Good thing is they don't have enough votes to get a no fishing or hunting law passed.   YET!!!!!!!

jimr

Offline john davis

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 08:02:34 AM »
It's the Whirling Disease that is so bad. Especially in Colorado. there are signs everywhere there encouraging fishermen to wash their boots and waders with a 409 mixture everytime they change bodies of water to reduce the spread. As far as equipment goes I agree with TexasJack. You don't have to spend a fortune. I catch all teh fish I can on my gear, and have a lot of fun doing it. John D

Offline jimr

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »
My first fly fishing trip was to Montana. I had bought a fly rod at Academy Sports for $44 and a reel for about $12. Line, backing and leader was about $20. So I had around $75 tied up in gear. When Kitty and I got to Red Lodge, Mt we went to a fly shop there to look  around. The lady there said a guide was going out in the morning and he needed another fisherman to go with him and another guy. Trip was $150 each. Kitty told me to go so she could do some shopping without my input. :) I asked the lady in the shop if she could rig my gear. Her stuff in the shop was very expensive, so I was a bit ashamed of my stuff. She was very nice and started to put things together for me when she noticed I had the wrong line weight for the rod I had. Well, the line she sold me was $69. LOL more than the rod and reel cost me. Anyway I went fishing and caught loads of trout, including a 16" rainbow. You really don't need expensive rods or reels to catch fish. I still have both 6wt rods and the reels and fish with them too. I did buy better reels though.

jimr

Don't know what this has to do with boots but here it is anyway. lol

Offline Gator1

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 10:08:46 AM »
It was many, many, many years before I had anything in the way of expensive gear.  I still don't look like the front cover of an Orvis Magazine.  A few years ago, I did finally treat myself to a high end Loomis rod, and I really love it.  However, my personal best fish remains an Alaska salmon caught on an el-cheapo fiberglass rod!  My son still uses it for bass and panfish!  I think it will always be my favorite rod.

As for the wading shoes, I bought the lug soles and still caught piles of fish last weekend.  I do think I will make better use of a wading staff in the future though.

Jim

Offline paulameredith

• Why I am not always on the river
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 06:51:49 PM »
well someone told me all rocks have your intials on it and one has you name. i have hade that one with my name on it get me at least once a year. i have felt soles and a wading pole aka the stick, as billy calls it. fell once no twice in water 2 ft deep. right under my chin. got nice and wet from the waist up but i have had my new knees to help me some. at least i can blame them.lol

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 09:41:05 AM »
Yep... I've put my initials on about 10,000 rocks out there!  ;D
Always On The Water - Jeff G

Offline paulameredith

• Why I am not always on the river
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »
glad to hear i am not the only one that gets a bit damp from time to time

Offline tarponchaser

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 06:35:29 AM »
New to board, just bought a place near Mt. Ida on Ouachita.  My question is has AR officially outlawed the use of felt waiders?
Thanks

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 09:12:13 AM »
Not that I've heard, but considering the Didymo issues on the northern waters it wouldn't surprise me if it becomes a question...

I haven't been to Bull Shoals in several years actually, but the last time I was there the Didymo was major. Was pretty bad on the Little Red too!
Always On The Water - Jeff G

Offline tarponchaser

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »
Thanks Jeff, hope to meet you on the river.