Author Topic: Fly line  (Read 1631 times)

Offline LsuMarrs

Fly line
« on: March 22, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
I ordered a new rod and reel and need to get it all rigged up.  I am just now getting back into fly fishing so do not know much about the different line brands.  Can anyone recommend a decent line for trout fishing on a 9' rod 5wt.  I do not need the absolute best but just a good middle of the road setup.  Also what backing do you guys prefer?

Thanks!

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
Re: Fly line
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 12:09:52 PM »
Backing is expensive stuff actually, but I use a 30 pound braided dacron. That way, I don't have to put so many yards onto a reel as the 20# that everyone "suggests".

As for lines, reserve $45 - $55 for one! Although I'm still partial to the good ole Cortland 444 lines, I have an Airflo Sixth Sense on my regular rod. I've been very pleased with the way it handles, the stiffness and it's durability have been above satisfactory!

SA Ultra lines were also nice and in the mid-range, price-wise. But now that I think of it I think SA has stopped marketing them with the Ultra name. I may have to look into that.

The RIO lines are also quite nice and not too outrageous. I've had a couple of those on "client" rods and they've been holding up nicely.

The Sixth Sense line that I've had for probably five seasons now (and that's my use) is still in great shape. And I don't clean them or treat them at all! I'm brutal on lines, but then they only get thrown on the Little Missouri too. Relatively clean...

At any rate, I brought it back up because it is a "delta" taper, very similar to the Wulff Triangle Taper lines - as opposed to standard weight forward lines. I've always liked the way these throw, particularly on roll casts and for line manipulation on the water! It's like throwing a giant tapered leader!  8) 

Lines are pretty critical, like I said, plan on spending that price range on one. If you get any less than that you're going to have a line that isn't as stiff, won't last as long and doesn't float as nicely!

Any more than that is just silly!  ;) Sorry, all you Sharkskin guys!

Always On The Water - Jeff G

Offline LsuMarrs

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:13:33 AM »
I think I will just stick with cortland 444 because I can get it locally and not order it online.  Now I just have to decide between double taper and their rocket taper/weight forward.

To pick your brain even more, what kind length and size tipet and leader do you recommend for the little Missouri with an occasional pond fishing mixed in?

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »
Weight forward... Just fine.

As for leaders, this time of year, 9' 5X is sufficient. In the late summer, sometimes I may start with a 9' 4X, back a few inches of the 4X tippet off and add 6X fluorocarbon to that - keeps me around that 9' point. A 9' 6x stock leader to me is too "fine" of a taper... I just like the way a stock 9' 4X taper turns the 6X over... 

Of course all my added tippet material is fluorocarbon anyway. But do not get a full fluorocarbon leader unless you plan to fish nymphs really deep all the time... They sink!

Remember, and I mention this because I see people do it more frequently than you might expect, do not add 3 (and I've even seen as much as four) feet of 6X tippet to a stock leader out of the package! There is a tippet already there and it will not throw that long, additional, lighter tippet the way it's supposed too.

That's why I take a little of the 4X off to add 6X! Too long of a tippet isn't going to cast correctly!   

Always On The Water - Jeff G

Offline john davis

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »
Thanks for the leader info Jeff. Never thought of trimming some of the tippet. I usually fish 5x leader with either 5x or 6x fluorocarbon tippet. John D

Offline flyfish

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
Jeff, I've had a couple of the Wulff Triangle Taper lines.  Loved them.....except they both deterioated much more quickly than others.  I understand that the Airflow coating is made of PE material and not PVC and is resistent to DEET and Sunscreen?  Do you have any thoughts on that?

Offline LiteLines

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
Jeff,
are u still using the climax leaders? I think I remember u posting that on the old board. I just noticed them in the new cabellas fly fishing catalog that i just got in the mail last week.

LD