Author Topic: Cases  (Read 2047 times)

Offline LsuMarrs

Cases
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good rod case for flying as checked in luggage?  I have a 2 piece 9 foot rod and would rather it not be the big bulky plastic tube kind.

Thanks!

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
Re: Cases
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:41:21 AM »
Hey Chris - If you haven't used the rod yet and, if possible, I would highly recommend that you trade in for a 4 piece!

The issues with flying with a two piece rod are numerous. Four piece rods are simply so much easier to deal with and they can go in your luggage. No need to check another item - which it seems everyone is charging $$$ for now-a-days! I'm dealing with the same thing for a trip to Santa Fe we're about to take!

I was trying not to have to check a bag, but no matter what I do it looks like I'm going to have to - and that's another $25 one way!  :o

Unless, you get to fly Southwest apparently... We've got no choice on this trip...

Otherwise - I'm not real sure there's any great options. They may even charge something extra for a long item like that today! It's getting to where I'd rather drive - quite annoying!

A gun case comes to mind, but then you'll be on the suspicious person list! I sat on a plane in a gate in LA one time because, as the pilot stated - honest to God - "There's a suspicious bag in the hold!"

That's a great thing to tell a plane load of people, isn't it?  ::)

But probably the best move would be some heavy gauge PVC and even that isn't all that safe. An employee of one of the Shreveport airlines came into my shop years ago with four or five broken rods (that they broke), wanting to know if they could be fixed.

I asked her if the guy had them in a case and she said he did, but they closed the bay door on it!

Go back and get the four piece, and put it in your suitcase!   
Always On The Water - Jeff G

Offline jimr

• I tie flies to give trout something to laugh at.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 01:57:23 PM »
Jeff is right with that. Although I haven't flown with a fly rod. But I was suppose to go to Idaho so I went out and got a 7 piece 4 wt rod to take because it fit so easily in my bag. Stay away from 2 piece rods if you are going to travel on planes. Ok I do have a couple of 2 piece rods but I do like the ease of 4 piece when traveling.

jimr

Offline LsuMarrs

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »
Alright alright I will go back and get the 4 piece.  I will still need a case for it so can anyone recommend one? 

Offline Gator1

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »
I've flown with both and was amazed at the ease with which that long tube got misplaced.  The rod eventually made it, but only after wait and consternation. 

I have a 4 piece now and can only add my emphatic agreement to all above - it fits in my duffel!

Jim

Offline Gator1

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »
Even with the 4 piece rod, a hard case is a definite must.  Get the smallest PVC tube type that will fit and make sure the rod is in a soft bag inside the tube to prevent rattling  around. 

Never underestimate your (or a cabbie, baggage handler, or spouse) ability to abuse luggage!

Jim

Offline mike hawkins

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 03:17:16 PM »
ship it Fed X and insure...

Offline jimr

• I tie flies to give trout something to laugh at.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »
Basspro has cases. I think Academy Sports has them too.

jimr

Offline TexasJack

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »
 I use the White River cases at Bass Pro that hold the rod and reel. They
run from about 29.99 to 69.99 depends on how long and if they hold more
than one rod. You can get some that cost as much as 200.00 a case but
thats just stupid if ya ask me. Cabelas has them too for about the same
price and all of them are pretty good at keepin your rod safe. In the end its all up to what want in a rod tube and what you want it to do and how much you want to spend.

If I was flying some where with a two piece rod I would want the most durable rod tube I could afford with a lock.

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shopreg;-Rod-and-Reel-Cases/product/36818/66071?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/fishing-rod-reel-storage-fishing-rod-tubes-cases/_/N-1102356/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104541480?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104812380
See ya on the water.....

TJ

Offline LsuMarrs

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 08:48:02 PM »
Well I am heading back to Bass Pro after work to return my rod for a 4 piece.  Of course I have to upgrade to a higher priced model to get a 4 piece...

Offline TexasJack

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »
In the long run you'll like the 4 piece better if ya travel very much or very far. I have several 2 and 3 piece rods and very seldom fish them. I always have my double 4 piece case with my 3 and 6 wts in it. With them I'm ready for almost any kind of fishing and they are easy to pack in the car. I also have a 4 piece TFO 9wt, just in case.
See ya on the water.....

TJ

Offline john davis

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »
From the other posts you can go to a FedEx store and ship them ahead, but it is expensive. More than the luggage fee. Like others have said my 4 piece dual rod/reel case from BassPro fit perfectly in our largest suitcase on our last trip to Colorado. I am lucky though in that with my wife's gold card allows for free checked bags on Delta. I put all my fishing gear in one and we put our clothes in the other. John D