Author Topic: Orvis Superfine Rods  (Read 2960 times)

Offline flyfish

Orvis Superfine Rods
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:40:03 AM »
Has anybody tried the Orvis superfine rods.  The idea of a new glass rod is interesting.  I had the opportunity to handle one, my first thought..... Perfect for Lil Mo!  Please share if you have input.

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
Re: Orvis Superfine Rods
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:32:58 AM »
Not a clue as to the specific Orvis model itself, but I doubt you can go wrong with a nice slow action glass!!!!  8) 8) 8)

Only comparison to make is the cost and physical weight versus a comparable graphite in length and line... That is, are we getting gouged because it's glass and it's making a "come-back"?  ::)

Some of us, and you know who you are, remember just how inexpensive glass was to begin with?    ;)
Always On The Water - Jeff G

Offline flyfish

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 04:35:07 PM »
Jeff, what 'slow' rod would you recommend and do you still custom make them?

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 04:52:41 PM »
Hey Rex! My new favorite rod is one done by Anglers Workshop. I've built about 20 of them now!  :o

It's a 9' 2/3 weight and it is one of the sweetest rods I've ever thrown. Ask Mac "Irish" McClanahan! When I retire my old Sage Light Line 8'9" 3 wgt,  this will be the rod I get for myself!  8) This rod is the closest I've seen to the old Sage yet!

Offline flyfish

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 06:17:01 AM »
You need to email me and let's talk
rexflyfish@Reagan.com

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »
Glad those glass prices have improved. I have to say, I really haven't looked into them lately and I was going on what they were doing last year and the year before when the popularity was coming back...  ;)

A quick search still shows rods in the $200 range to be available at least, though some are even up into the $600 range!  :o

Several manufacturers are still pretty proud of the blanks though. Guess selections still boil down to the rod configuration you want as to what's available and at what cost. Where do you draw the line in glass the same way you do in graphite?  :-\

Offline flyfish

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 08:20:38 AM »
Thanks for the input, all are good points.  I do own four older glass rods and use a couple occasionally.  The other two are retired, during the remainder of my lifetime anyway.  It's he same with my bamboo rods.  I just can't make myself take them out and possibly break one.  So I gravitat back to the lighter more disposable graphite rods, which work extremely well.
Jeff, I finally retired the rods you made for me and Carmol.  She got you to build my for a Christmas present. I got hers for Mothers Day. You built them alike for us.  They are treasured!
I do enjoy the softer 'full flex' newer rods of today and always looking for just the right feel, without the heavy "name" price of major brands.

Offline jonbo

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 07:38:47 AM »
I'll say this for Orvis. I bought one used. At one point I drove over it and broke it. They replaced it with no questions even though I wasn't the original owner. On another forum there's a thread dedicated to the subject of their great warrantee policy.

I buy non-cheap rods just because they're pretty easy to cast.

Offline mike hawkins

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 04:17:08 PM »
Rex, i have the super fine 4wt you are welcome to cast it.

Mike

Offline flyfish

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 06:53:05 PM »
Hey Mike, I've been off the grid for awhile, thanks for your offer.  I don't get back home too much for events, but still holding out for Caddo Conclave.  I'll let you know.  I sure would like to cast one.

Offline Irish

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
Actually, I have 2 of Jeff's 2/3's.  I would not go back to a medium or fast action.  Since I am lazy I love the amount of effort necessary to cast the slow rod.  Plus you can get the handle sized to fit your hand.  No need to cast 50 yards on the Little Mo.  Plus my favorite part of fishing is actually fighting the fish.  The battle lasts longer and is much more challenging.  My 2 cents.
A little "Luck-O-The-Irish" never hurts.

Offline flyfish

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 07:34:54 PM »
Picked up my 2/3 wt Jeff made me.  Jeff, I love rod.  It's beautiful.  Can't wait to get it to the water and give my 2 cents.   Thanks Jeff

Offline flyfish

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »
Got to fish my custom built rod from Anglers Workshop 2/3 wt that Jeff made me.  It's absolutely everything Irish and Jeff claims it to be.  I simply love the action of this rod.  Thanks Jeff!

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 08:36:48 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it, Rex! Also glad you finally fit to throw it on the Little Mo!

That is, indeed, probably the "sweetest" rod I've ever thrown!  ;D  8)