Author Topic: BIGGEST FLYING ANT HATCH I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!  (Read 371 times)

Offline hen

BIGGEST FLYING ANT HATCH I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!
« on: May 30, 2017, 06:13:56 AM »
The ants stretched from the park all the way thru the Big Rock hole at River Ridge!!(did not go farther down river) Yesterday (5/29) at times it looked like it was raining on the water from all the fish rising.  They were KEYED in on cinnamon ants and did not want to eat anything else!! Thats the second time I have swore I would not get caught on this river without a good cinnamon any fly pattern  :-\ :-\ :-\  Remember a few years ago Jeff??  Fish were already starting to die yesterday afternoon--belly up in the river from eating so many ants--got stung!! Think we may loose a bunch of our good fish :'( :'(

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
Re: BIGGEST FLYING ANT HATCH I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:38:51 PM »
Got the report from Jake Faulkner that he too had seen a bunch of dead fish on Wednesday!

Monday I did see some ants, but not a significant number yet... I guess they really got cranked up!

We see this hatch pretty consistently every year. Some  years are bigger than others, I guess this was a big one with bad results.  :-\

Hopefully, it doesn't get any worse. Any hatches are indeed a blessing and a curse!  :'(
Always On The Water - Jeff G

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »
Any estimates on what kind of numbers for lost fish, Mike?

I'm sure the generation today moved the dead ones off...
Always On The Water - Jeff G

Offline hen

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:27:02 AM »
Was out the next day Jeff, and the kill off was not as bad as I expected.  Only saw about 20 dead fish spread from dam thru River Ridge.  Most were smaller fish.  Good news!!!