Author Topic: Perdido Key  (Read 182 times)

Offline JoshK

Perdido Key
« on: July 07, 2017, 01:02:58 PM »
Jeff, 
I saw that you went to perdido back in April.  We go every summer and I will be there in a couple weeks.  I was wondering what flies did you use when fishing the lagoon?  I have fished in it many times and only caught redfish and flounder on my fly rod.  I just bought a kayak and plan on fishing the lagoon again.  I've never fished from a kayak so it's gonna be something new.

Thanks
Josh

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
Re: Perdido Key
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 11:40:17 AM »
What else? Chartreuse and White Clousers!  ;)

Fished them fast over some grass beds, just wading the bank!
Always On The Water - Jeff G

Offline JoshK

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
I just got back from Perdido Key and had a blast.  I fished the mornings in the ocean and caught Ladyfish, Spanish Mackerel, and Pompano.  The Ladyfish we lots of fun.  They are a very aggressive fighter and love to jump.  I had one small Pompano on my line then all of the sudden all my line started flying off the reel.  Something ran off with my fish.  When I tightened the drag it broke off and my tippet was cut clean.  I would have liked to see what it was. I'll attach some pics.  The mackerel wouldn't sit still so he is covered in sand.  Only complaint is everything in the ocean is very toothy and brutal on tippet.  I went to a local bait shop to get some more and when I asked if they carried any he looked at me funny and said "I don't know what tippet is".  He said they don't have a large clientele for fly fishing.  Anyone know of good tippet material for toothy fish?

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »
I'll bet a mackerel got a hold of your pompano!

I'd suggest using some braided Kevlar for a bite tippet. I used it when I was fishing for pickerel... And you can go pretty fine with it and keep lots of tensil strength!

I would have loved to have gotten into some ladyfish myself, they are a kick and known as the "poor man's tarpon"!
Always On The Water - Jeff G