Author Topic: Jan 8, 2017  (Read 200 times)

Offline jonbo

Jan 8, 2017
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:16:47 PM »
 So,... what would a wise man do if he had an eye doctor's appointment at 9AM in Texarkana? Welp, I don't know what a wise man would do, but here's what I did. I took the WHOLE day off of work, and hit the Lil' Mo' in the afternoon. I didn't get there until about 2, so rather than mess around and try to check out several spots, I just went straight to Hind's Bluff and stayed there. This is the first chance this season I've been able to go, had to stop at Wally's for my license. When I got there I found out what Jeff and others have been talking about with the flow. It's kind of high, and that's kind of nice. Real good current movement. I ran into David McAdams(?) right away. He showed me a spot at the base of Butt Buster Shoals where it forms a little run. I caught several there on a red midge larva and a "tiger midge", bobber fishing. We did a little fly trading. He gave me a couple of jig hook bead head wets that I'm pretty sure were the better part of the deal.

Did I say that they had just stocked, apparently? The fish were all smallish, but there was no shortage. I went down below the main hole and they were just stacked up. They were rising to something, I'm not sure what. I saw no bugs on the surface or in the air. I tied on a pretty large griffith's gnat which they seemed to like. After about 4 fish though, one swallowed it kind of deep. I cut it off and let the fish go. So now it turned out I only had dinky size 18 or 20 griffith's gnats left in my box. Huh?! They wouldn't touch those. Period. I got a little action on a sulphur mayfly imitation, just trying different stuff, but not much with all the risers. I hung several droppers on my dries, little RS2's, tiny zebra midges, a Barr's Emerger PMD, all for nothing. At one point I started swinging a red midge larva just trying to get a reaction strike. It worked and I caught several that way. (When nothing else works, fish something red.)

Still determined to find out what they were rising to, I took off my polaroids and put on my regular prescription glasses. I did see a few of what looked like tiny tiny mayflies, about a 24 or 26. Are those Baetis, BWO's? So, well, I found in my box some tiny Parachute Adams'es I must have tied a long time ago in about size 22. I tied on a 6x tippet and the dinky, half-misshapen Adams I'd tied as an experiment. Bingo! It's what they wanted. You know, when they're rising avidly if you find the right fly you'll get action on about every cast? Well, now I finally did. I caught several more. Then I noticed it was starting to get dark. I eased my way back across the river on the treacherous rocks, and beat it home.

Thank you Lord, for good fishing!

Offline George Tullis

Re: Jan 8, 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 08:05:50 PM »
Jon - Thanks for the report.  Glad to hear they?ve released some January fish.  Hoping to see larger ones in the near future.   Take care - GT.

Offline SEARK Jim

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 01:05:49 PM »
Great report, Jonbo.  I appreciate the information.  When I can't go myself, I enjoy knowing someone else is fishing and hearing what they were doing.   
Seark Jim   

Offline flyfish

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:41:09 PM »
Sure enjoyed your report Jondo!  Thanks

Offline yaqui

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 10:08:24 AM »
Such a great report that I felt like I was there. My feet are even cold. Thanks for posting up.

Offline jonbo

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 07:16:52 PM »
Thanks, fellas!

Offline bwhflies

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:41:15 PM »
Thanks for the report Jonbo; glad to hear that a wise man was rewarded for his decision!
bwhflies