Author Topic: High Water - March 2018  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
High Water - March 2018
« on: March 01, 2018, 01:00:48 PM »
Well, here we go! Sorry I haven't been at the Message Board much... Been kind of wild since the Fly Fishing Festival which was great by the way!!!  8) And I had to have that broken tooth done and bone grafts this week - kind of slowed me down...

At any rate aren't you all glad you came to the Festival and got to fish???  ::)

Because it's been raining ever since in Arkansas - and I mean big time rains!  :-\

The upshot is that as of today, at noon (March 1 - Sandy's Birthday BTW), the lake is now up to 561.99' - the highest it's been since the over-topping of the spillway in May 2009! Fortunately the rise seems to be tapering and the inflow (AR 84 gauge) from the Upper Little Mo' is dropping fast.

And the forecast seems to be rain-less for a couple of days and then just drizzle and showers as well... We'll see how that holds up!  :-\

Looks like the CORPS opened up the gates and the Bunger Valves as quick as they could Tuesday 2-27 around 6AM. The ARK 27 gauge is currently at 14.80' and holding for now. After another huge round of rain last night the lower river should be well out of it's banks. We'll have to keep an eye on the US 67 gauge which is 18.62' and still climbing fast.

Usually the 20' point at US 67 (Boughton) is where they shut the releases down and hold water on the lake. But with no more rain of significance for a while, I suspect they'll keep the water flowing...

Here's what we've got to look forward to as far as fishing the river. In 2009, on May 3, the lake jumped three feet to 550.32' (flood pool for those who don't yet know is 548'). It kept raining... By the 13th we were exactly where we are today. By May 16th the lake crested at 563.58' - a half a foot over the top of the spillway. (Only the second time that's happened...)

All three generators and Bunger Valves going virtually the whole time! So it took from the 16th to June 3rd to get the lake back under flood pool that year! Add it up and it was four solid weeks before we saw shut down!  :-\

So, we are very close to the same scenario I'm afraid.  :'(

All we can do is watch and hope the weather settles down a bit! But expect March to be mostly a washout, unless there's more big rain downriver and they have to shut it down again to counter flooding on the lower Ouachita, all the way into Louisiana! If you are so lucky as to scoot to the river in case that happens, I suspect you will be rewarded nicely!  8)

If you want to keep tabs yourself here's the River Gauges website from the CORPS: http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/new/layout.cfm

Click on Vicksburg District on the map or in the scroll box, then Ouachita River Basin. Look for Little Missouri River and Narrows Dam a little more than halfway down the charts. They usually update every couple of hours.

Ya'll hang in there!

Always On The Water - Jeff G

Offline Catch

Re: High Water - March 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »
This is really bad news for our club trip next weekend.  We booked a cabin and it appears too late to cancel.  That means we're stuck on fishing Albert Pike, but according to the biologist who spoke at the Fest it sounds like there's far less than normal trout that have been stocked there this year.

Looks like we might have a big fly tying session at the cabin the days there.

Offline apwarren

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 01:55:06 PM »
Thanks for the update, Jeff. I guess I'll be chasing more bass and panfish for awhile.

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 02:47:21 PM »
Hey "Catch"! I was talking to someone after the casting clinic who told me that there's a Walleye run up the river AHEAD of the White Bass run!!! Might be perfect conditions at the top of the lake for either!  8)

If ya'll hit the Upper River you might want to work between Albert Pike and Winding Stair!

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 04:48:48 PM »
562.29' at 4:00 PM on March 1!

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:45:27 AM »
562.84' this morning and still rising... Spillway top is 563'...

Appears they've shut down the Bungers by what the gauges say! US 67 is over 22' again with bigger rains than expected Sunday and Monday I'm afraid.

If you didn't see the spillway topped in 2009 (or 1968) the next day or two might give you another opportunity!  :-\

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 10:06:17 AM »
By the way, I just thought I'd relate what former Lake Greeson Project Manager Ned Hollenbach told me during one high water episode.

He said that they were "walking the dam"! I had not heard that phrase used before and had to ask. I think the level was 552', maybe 554', at which they start making physical inspections inside the tunnels of the structure itself! I think it was every two hours, I can't be sure about that, it was a while ago. But it was pretty much to make sure it was holding together properly! Let that sink in! Fortunately, the concrete of the dam is still getting stronger!

I was part of a tour inside the project in 2000 when the dam was "paid for" - they had an open house event and took people through the project all day. We went down tunnels below the stream bed level as I recall. Not a place for the claustrophobic! It seemed barely wide and tall enough for me to get through, much less someone six feet tall!

If you ever get the chance to get in there, you should! It's pretty cool, but they cut back on that sort of thing after 9/11...

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 07:33:53 PM »
The CORPS has posted on Facebook that the lake, has just barely topped the spillway and the water is still too high downriver to let anything go!

So the good news, for those who can get there and fish, is that they are completely shut down for the moment.you might get a couple of days in!  8)

The bad news is that the lake level won't be moving and if we get more significant rain over Sunday and Monday it'll just get that much worse. That just means high water further into April!  :-\

The lake is at 563.03', so that is just a trickle coming over right now. US 67 is still at 21.75', but crested and starting to fall, and the Upper River is at 5' and settling down!

Anybody had eyes on the gates to see if they're still letting that little extra flow go through generator #3?

As I've said in the past when it comes to these situations, just when I think I have a clue as to what they'll do, they prove me wrong! I think my posts are being monitored!  :o

Offline jonbo

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 08:13:24 AM »
Hey, Catch. If needs be, with the Mo' unfishable, and you really want to fish, try driving to Beaver's Bend State Park in Oklahoma, the Lower Mountain Fork River. It's probably a little under 2 hours from your cabin. I fished it last week when the Mo' was releasing heavily. They have it flowing pretty high right at this time, about 400 cfs, but I found it still fishable with big  cone head wooly buggers and leeches and a sink-tip leader. And I wasn't just crazy or reckless. The guides were out, too, with groups. It's still okay to fish at that flow at, say, the "Evening Hole", because the stream bed is fairly wide. Where there's normally shallow rffles it's 2 1/2 ft deep and swift. But there's fish. I hooked 7, caught 5 in about 3 hours.

Offline Scott Austin

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 02:23:09 PM »
Just got home from our cabin up there. It?s still flowing over the dam and they opened the bunger valves this morning.

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 08:20:07 PM »
Yep, latest reading on the lake is 563.34' and starting to fall!  :)

AR 27 reading is right at 7' which is about where I'd expect it to be with three generators and Bungers going! Normal three generators is around 5.5'... So wither there was just enough rain today up there to raise the level a bit or we've got everything going again!

US 67 is down to 8.5' and falling dramatically! A 12' fall in twenty-four hours!!! Let's keep it looking like that please!

Thanks for the report Scott!

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 08:19:39 PM »
And we're off!!! No, not the releases, that's definitely going!

The lake is at 562.72' and on the fall!

What I was referring to is that the lake, has dropped .62' in the last twenty-four hours!  8) That's really good news considering how high the lake is and what's been coming into it! The fact that they are able to get that much off already while it's this high is excellent!

Of course, we're a long way from fishing levels, but start doing the math... We've got fourteen feet of water to get rid of!  ::)

Offline ScottM

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 03:08:36 PM »
I have a trip planned for the end of March beginning of April. Hope the water is down by then. If not I guess I will try and see if streamers on a sinking line will do anything in the flow. Might be a good learning experience :o

Offline Scott Austin

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 07:03:33 PM »
When I was there they had only had the bungers opened and one gate was partially opened like it?s been all winter. Not sure if they?ve opened all the gates by now but I wish they would. Those bungers move some water though. The river was on the sidewalk in front of my place.

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 06:55:50 PM »
Well, since I'm not currently on a tennis court I thought it'd check in on the levels...

Steady fall on the lake - looking like a constant 6/10's of a foot every twenty-four hours.  8)

That's got us down to 560.15' this evening. Keep in mind that the higher the level of the lake the more acres there are that have water over them. As the level falls, the "sides" of the lake, that is, the hill sides get steeper and there's less water to remove each day to drop it a half foot.

In other words, the lower the lake gets the faster the fall. At some point, assuming they keep Bungers going, we'll start to see 3/4 to nearly a foot leaving every 24 hours!

That's, of course, considering there's not so much coming in!  ::)

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 09:04:23 PM »
So a week later and where are we?

As mentioned in the previous post, we are now getting into that 3/4's of a foot drop "range". Currently a steady drop on the lake at .70 of a foot every twenty-four hours now! Lake is now (Thursday the 15th 8:00 PM) at 556.36'. Eight feet above flood pool.

So count on them running round the clock through the 23rd at least I "SUSPECT"! At least that's what I'd anticipate, but they do seem to enjoy proving me wrong every time!  :o

So let's hope we have no more big rains to slow that down too much. A little rain won't be too big of an issue, but if were to get another three or four inches up in the mountains it might be a stalemate again!  ::) We've seen that plenty of times over the years. It is still just March, but at least maybe they can get the lake well under control again before the May storms! 

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 10:09:36 PM »
Monday, March 19 - lake is now at 553.51' and falling right about two feet every three days. If you look back, the lake peaked on March 4th. Dropped ten feet in fifteen days!

With five and a half feet to go to get back to flood pool, barring any heavy rains, you can do the math... Looking at maybe getting there (548') by the 27th or 28th!  :D

Now it remains to be seen, once they get there, if they'll immediately go to a normal springtime generation schedule or continue to drop water off in anticipation of April and May rains... Don't be surprised if they continue to run a bunch after they get to 548'.  :-\

Offline gperkins

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 02:04:45 PM »
Does anyone know what is happening to the fish slated to be stocked?  Continue to stock during high water?  Hold fish?  Be nice if they could take some of them to Albert Pike.
Garey

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »
Stocking tends to be continued most of the time.. I certainly haven't heard otherwise.

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 09:31:22 AM »
Only three feet to go! 8)

Lake now at 550.93' and dropping .75' every 24 hours!  :D

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 01:59:53 PM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

By this time tomorrow the lake should be below flood pool!  :)

Currently at 548.53' and dropping 3/4's a foot every twenty-four hours now. The question at this point is how far will they go beyond that? SWEPCO shows no "generation" all week, but that doesn't apply to the CORPS releases.

I would, however, at this point anticipate potential shut down either during the week or at least for the weekend!   

Keep all fingers crossed!  8)

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 11:59:00 AM »
Looks like they did shut it down yesterday afternoon!  :o

I'm assuming we're back to that higher minimum flow with work still going on at the power house?

Anybody get in the water yet???

High Water - March 2018 officially over. Let's hope there's not another one this year!!!

Offline ScottM

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »
Drove up today. Arrived around 3:30. Two guys out fishing at river p ark, Hen and I believe Jim was the other gentleman.  Water was higher than normal  and muddy but not unfishable. Caught some fish but water smelled a bit odd. Still not a bad afternoon.