Author Topic: Bunger Valves open  (Read 1643 times)

Offline john davis

Bunger Valves open
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:24:21 AM »
I just talked to Corps and Bunger Valves are open. She said they will be through this week and until they get the lake to 547'. Oh well will just have to do home and yard projects. John D

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
Re: Bunger Valves open
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
Suspected...  :-\
Always On The Water - Jeff G

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 02:02:10 AM »
John, thanks for the info.  How long do you think it'll take to draw down to the level they want?  I was thinking of fishing next week...

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 09:43:33 PM »
Looks like they shut down this morning around 9:00!  8) I suspect we'll see it shut down for the immediate future!

Lake has been stable all day at 547.49' and gauge at ARK 27 has been dropping dramatically...

Let's hope there's no big rains tomorrow. Planning to return Saturday!  :)

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 12:15:38 AM »
NOAA, who I've found pretty reliable, says a 12 hr period of thunderstorms, some severe, starting @ 1300 hrs Friday.  Slight chance Sat.  Then sunny thru Thr.  So if we dodge the real heavy stuff...

Offline Breck M.

Lil Mo Conditions / Bunger Valves Closed / Open ?
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 03:50:53 PM »
After that weather system last night has anyone heard about the river level / conditions for tomorrow, Sunday?

Thank you

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 04:19:26 PM »
http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/new/layout.cfm
On the map pick "Vicksburg".  Pick "Choose a Basin".  Scroll down & pick "Quachita Basin"  Scroll down any you"ll see gages for the dam and the river.

As of 1500 hrs today the lake is still rising.  It's about 1-1/2 ft above the 547.5 stage where the flow will ease off to "normal".  (At least that's what they did this past week.  I haven't collected long term data and analysed it yet.  Maybe this week  I'll post my results when complete...) 

Anyway, once it stops rising it will take some time to drain.  I plan to drive up Tues and fish Wed & Thr...  "If the good lord's willin' and the creek don't rise..."

Offline Breck M.

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 04:46:04 PM »
Thanks for the website information. So, you are saying that the lake is about 1.5 ft above where they would have a wading, fly fishable flow?  We may hear something from Jeff, if he decided to go today.

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 05:16:02 PM »
I'm basing the 547 ft. on John's post from above.  The flow was high until the lake hit 547.5 ft.  Then the flow dropped off. 

I'm not too familiar w/ the river so my "fishable flows" are based on my best trip that took place on 14 & 15 Feb 2018.  Those stages were less than 3ft.

If you go, please keep me posted.  Thanks...

Offline apwarren

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
Hey everyone. New to this forum and still rather new to fly fishing. I just finished up the day fishing with Jeff. He?ll be able to give y?all a better rundown than me, but bottom line the river was very fishable today. Water level was up a bit due to the rain. Decreased water clarity, but it improved closer to the dam. Fishing was pretty slow early on, but it got a lot more lively around 3 or so. Caught several ?bows (and long range released many more  ;) ), but no browns. I asked Jeff to help me with casting and we did just that. The wind REALLY showed me where my weak points were in my casting.

Anyways, I had an absolute blast today. Staying the night in town so that I can fish in the morning. Then I?ll head back to Louisiana.

-Asa

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 07:53:14 PM »
And the river's droppin'  - 04/14/2018 19:00 5.22 ft.

Uncle Shorty's magic 8 ball says a good day for you tomorrow...

Offline David M

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 09:46:38 AM »
As Jeff has pointed out in the past, the gage at Boughton can be key in estimating when they'll hold or release water at Narrows. With Boughton over 18' it's not likely that they would release much from Narrows, and it doesn't appear that they are. In times after heavy rains it's often difficult to tell on Rivergages if they're releasing, or not, but the Hwy 27 gage at Murfreesboro has dropped below 4' and is still falling, which says they're not releasing much, if any. and fishing reports from Saturday confirmed that.

Boughton seems to be leveling off and, with no rain forecast for several days, should drop sharply soon. When Boughton starts dropping fast, with no significant rain in the forecast, and with Narrows over 548', expect to see water released from Narrows to get it back down below 548'. Of course, as Jeff has also pointed out in the past, just when you think you know what the Corps will do, they don't.

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 12:38:35 AM »
That makes sense to me.  I never thought to look downstream.  I just looked @ the dam & Murf's gage. 

I'm gonna try to fish mid-week.  I'll be watching the stages and hoping for prime conditions.

Offline hen

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 02:53:55 PM »
About to get bored watching the river run by!!  Water temp seems to be holding ok even tho its just one bunger valve open (still a little flow out  of the low water generator, just like for the past 3 months- GOTTA LOVE THE PAST 3 MONTHS!!!!!  Lake coming down, may be fishing time one day this Friday, Saturday or Sunday??????

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 03:16:16 PM »
I didn't get up this week, and probably not next either due to some health issues.  Gettin' old ain't for sissies...

Offline jonbo

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 06:39:27 AM »
Very sorry to hear that, "Unc". I hope you get feeling better, soon.

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »
Does anyone know where to find the real time discharge rate of flow from the dam, (ft^3/sec or ft^3/min)?

Given that Lake Greeson is about 7000 acres and using stage data from rivergages.com, if we know the discharge rate we can figure the time required to draw down the lake to any stage.

I suppose I could download a bunch of historical hourly data and find an average rate of flow, but I'd like to try for more accuracy.

I drive 5-1/2 hrs to get to the Little Mo.  The worst scenerio for me is to make the drive then find the river runnin' real high.

Yeah, I know I'm opening a can of san juan worms, but I'm a retired engineer stuck in bed for the next two days.  It's either work on river flow or on my design for unlicensed nuclear reactor powered nippers...

Offline hen

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 05:04:45 PM »
They laid the lake at 548.32 at 4:30 this afternoon!!  Fish this weekend----Yea  :D :D :D   See you on the water.  Hen

Offline hen

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 05:43:41 PM »
River did not come down as should have!!!!  went and looked.  still have one bunger valve cracked open????  fish-able but swift!!  See what happens tomorrow morning??? 

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 01:22:33 AM »
19 Apr 2018 2200 @ Murf  --  Stage: 4.16 ft --  24 hr change: -1.28 ft  -- Precip: 0.00 in

For those interested in fly fishing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JySPZUt_6w

Offline hen

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2018, 08:17:27 AM »
still have that one bunger valve cracked open this morning

Offline GORDOB

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 10:28:49 AM »
Hen, I'm keeping up with the levels on Rivergages and it looks as thought the flow has been reduced.  However, I don't know how high the river is with the one Bunger Valve open.  About how much higher is it now than at minimum flow?  Thanks a lot, I too have a long drive to get to the river.

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 12:23:48 PM »
Lake pool:  548.24 ft, still above flood stage by 3 inches.  River stage @ Murf: 3.57 ft, down 1.85 ft in the 24 hrs.

NOAA is calling for some rain Sat evening.

Maybe good conditions this weekend...

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »
I've only fished the river twice.  Once @ 6.12 and once @ 2.68 on the Murf gage.  The low was good, the high marginal, at best.

Just a guess, but 3.57's probably fishable.  I wouldn't know about wading, though...

Offline GORDOB

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 01:24:09 PM »
Looking at the noon readings on Rivergages, I'm assuming the Bunger valve(s) still open.  I'm trying to establish a base line for when the river is wadeable.  Is anyone wading the river today, April 21?

Offline gperkins

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »
I was there yesterday and couldn't wade it anywhere.
Garey

Offline GORDOB

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 06:12:32 PM »
Thanks Mr. Perkins.  We have a 3-1/2 hour drive to the river and it's no fun driving that far to watch high water run.  I believe this will help a lot in determining when the river is wadeable,  I also understand there are some other factors that can produce generation flow at the drop of a hat, but that's just part of the game.  Love that river.

Offline David M

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 11:48:52 PM »
This current slow rate of draw-down is unusual, in my experience. I first noticed this rate, where the hwy. 27 (Murfreesboro) gage is maintained near the 3-1/2 foot level, on April 2nd, when they started the same draw-down rate and ran that way for a day or two. At this level, the river is essentially unwadeable, even near the dam, when rain runoff isn't a significant portion of the flow at the hwy. 27 gage. A more common draw-down rate, especially when they're not much above "flood stage", would hold the hwy. 27 gage around the 5-1/2 foot level, and would have dropped the lake below "flood stage" a couple of days ago. They've run the lower rate for 4 days, and counting, and have only dropped the lake level less than 1/3 foot (with a little rain mixed in to slow the draw-down). 

A conspiracy theorist might think that the Corps is trying to release water at a rate that ensures that the river will be unwadeable, while still maximizing the time required to draw down the lake level below "flood stage". But I'm not a conspiracy theorist. Really, I'm not.

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 12:39:17 AM »
Look downstream.  The Quachita is above flood stage at 7 or 8 gages.  Maybe there's just nowhere to put the amount of water a faster drawdown would send down river.  I'm just guessin', though.  Sure would like to talk to some local folks about the river.  Are there any beer joints in Murfreesboro?

Offline GORDOB

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 01:29:51 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful comments. I have been keeping a record of the rivergage readings to correlate with the wading conditions reported, and if someone will post the time at which the river is next wadeable (doesn't have to be exact) I should have a pretty complete profile.  Even though there is a time differential between the highway 27 gage and the fishing areas it will afford more information than I presently have.  Thanks again.

Offline David M

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 12:42:15 AM »
Rivergages seems to indicate that they sharply reduced or shut off flow from the dam at 8 PM tonight, but the resolution of that chart may be deceiving. The chart often has short flat runs on it, but this flat is extended. If the level at the hwy. 27 gage starts dropping by 1 AM, or so, and the gage reading at the dam stays flat, we should be able to count on the river being wadeable. If this all pans out to confirm flow shut-off at 8 PM, it means that the river should have been easily wadeable at Riverside Park as of about 9 PM, or so.   

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 09:36:22 AM »
Afraid lake rate of fall is still steady, as is the flow rate on the hwy 27 gauge (though there's a slight fall, which is a natural drop in run off).

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 09:58:10 AM »
Murf gage stage 3.47 ft.  That's down only 0.06 ft in the last 24 hrs.  I think the conditions conditions would be about the same as they have been for the last several days...

Offline David M

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »
Yep. Wishful thinking, on my part. And the slow drain continues...

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 06:58:29 PM »
The lake is below flood stage!!!  347.75 ft. 

So rain tonight then dry till next Wednesday.  Depending on how much rain falls in the watershed we might get some wadeable conditions. 

Keep an eye on the Langley gage, upstream from the lake.  If it's rising the lake's rising.   

Also watch from the Camden gage, where the LilMo & Quachita meet on down river to other Quachita gages.  If the Quachita gages are above flood stage there's nowhere to put the water coming down the LilMo.  So we'll have a long slow drawdown like the last little while...

Of course that's just my theory.  I could be wr..  wrr.. wr...wrong...   ...   ...Hey, there's a first time for everything...   ;D

Offline john davis

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 07:33:20 AM »
I wanted to go fishing so badly. I called the field office and left a message. The lady called me back a few minutes ado to say she was told the Bunger Valves would be open through the weekend. OH well maybe next week, John D

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 06:12:32 PM »
Thank you John.  When I can't fish I tie flies.  It's been so long since I fished I'm gonna have to carry my flies in a wheelbarrow...

I wanna fish, dern it...

Offline john davis

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2018, 06:15:07 PM »
Yes, can always hope for next week. Lady was so nice to call me back.

Offline GORDOB

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2018, 06:48:00 PM »
John, I didn't know we could call the field office and get information.  Would you share that phone number?  Thanks.

Offline john davis

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2018, 07:41:08 PM »
I have been calling 870-285-2151 press 0 for operator. The lady I usually talk is always nice and said it was no problem to call. I was called back this morning from 870-285-3359.  Of course if they start getting many calls per day, their attitude may change. I will call back Monday since I want to fish Tuesday or so.