Author Topic: Tippet Rings and Home Made Leaders  (Read 408 times)

Offline uncleshorty

Tippet Rings and Home Made Leaders
« on: April 27, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »
How many of you guys use the rings? I just got a pack and tied a couple on some 4x 7.5' & 9' leaders.

The ones I got were the 2 mm in size.  I don't think they will have enough mass to affect casting.  I like the idea of just replacing a short piece of tippet.  So we'll see.

Speaking of leaders, they are getting outragously expensive.  Does anyone tie their own?  Would you share your recipe?

This slow discharge is getting out of hand.  I wanna FISH, gull dern it...

Offline David M

Re: Tippet Rings and Home Made Leaders
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 10:35:53 PM »
I use them. Greatest thing since sliced bread. I've had knots break at the tippet ring a handful of times over the years that I've been using them, but nowhere near the number of times I've had tippet break at the fly, or just somewhere in between, where it got nicked or abraded during use. And they're so light that they're not a problem with dry flies, either. I prefer the black nickel finish, but I use those with the bright finish, too. I have no evidence that it makes any difference which color is used.

As for the leaders, I know that some people swear by the benefits of custom tied leaders, and I've tied some, but it's just too much trouble, as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather spend the time tying flies, or doing almost any other fishing prep (even cleaning my fly line, if you can believe that). Besides, I have all that money that I save (::)) by tying my own flies to spend on the extruded leaders. Actually, I don't even want to know the astronomical cost per fly that it would work out to if I divided all my fly tying materials and tools cost by the number of flies I've tied. It's a good thing I didn't get into fly tying to save money, because I sure don't, and I'm hooked now.

The water managers have the lake below flood stage, the next significant rain in the forecast is days away, and they apparently have computed that they can't release large flows downstream yet, anyway, so it sure looks like they could back flow down to a wadeable level and still keep drawing down the lake to their goal, whatever that is. Oh well, I guess we can just count ourselves lucky to have the opportunity to fish there at all. This year has afforded the least river wading access that I can remember, for the early part of the year, in all the years that I've been fishing there, and it's usually my favorite time of year on the river.

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 12:28:01 AM »
Oh yeah, I know about that cost thing.

In my will my wife is directed to sell my fishin' gear for what I paid for it, not for what I TOLD her I paid for it...   8)

Offline Texomasooner

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 10:57:34 AM »
I have used tippet rings for about 6 years now. They even work to rig a fly on the grandkids? bait-casters with 12lb test to tie a long creek under a traditional bobber so a 2yr & 4yr old can fly fish too.....
Wishin' I was fishin'

Offline uncleshorty

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »
It seems rings are the way to go.  Since I'm gonna switch to them I'll not be using so many leaders.  So other than as an experiment I doubt I'll start tying my own. 

The river stage has kept me at the fly tying bench as oposed to losing flies in the river.  So my fly stock is ample for about the next ten years...

I think it's time to go back to working on my design for unlicensed nucler powered nippers...

I WANNA GO FISHIN' DERN IT.  Pretty soon, if those meanies @ the CoE won't let me, I'll run through the house slamming the doors and screaming, "I hate you!!!"  That'll show 'em...