Author Topic: Fishing Report Tuesday July 24  (Read 181 times)

Offline john davis

Fishing Report Tuesday July 24
« on: July 25, 2018, 08:19:47 AM »
Well, I did make it back to the Ill Mo a week later. I arrived at Riverside about 0800 to find the Wall Hole occupied, and David down by what must be one of his favorite areas at the Park. Mike arrived a few minutes later. I walked in by the ramp and fished that area for a while. I then decided to go upstream and check it out. I started fishing again just above the power line crossing, sorry I don't know the name for that area. Without minimum flow the water is of course lower with quite a bit of grass, which is probably  typical  for  this time of year. The water was clear though and I caught fish down to just above the ramp. I was working downriver slowly and saw many fish. There was one school of about 10-12! David and Mike left, so I worked my way downriver aiming for the top of the Wall Hole close to the far bank. I never really got close but caught a few more fish all through the river in that area. Though I did not get his name, the guy at the Wall Hole was having quite the day, steadily catching fish. He said he started with a Light Cahill, then a Pheasant  Tail Nymph, and finished with a Red/Black BH Midge. With the later two he was more "catching".  I finished up the day fishing with him but on the wall side of the hole, and caught fish there as well. Yes the generation  drove us off the river at 1300 as scheduled. The water was getting warm so fresh water surely  had to help that. As I reported last week, I have never fished the river past Memorial Day due to work and home activities. So maybe I will slip back up there in a couple weeks. And there are a lot of fish in the river, so I hope they continue a generation pattern that keeps some cooler water coming through. It was a great day, I caught fish, met new people, and got home safely. John D

Offline john davis

Re: Fishing Report Tuesday July 24
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 09:08:16 AM »
Oh I forgot to mention that the guy fishing the Wall Hole caught 4 browns. And I think I overheard Mike say he had caught one recently as well.

Offline texarkansan

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 07:43:41 PM »
Hey, new guy here.  Moved down to Texarkana from central Arkansas not long back, so I?m new to the Little Mo.  Been doing most of my fishing over the last few years on the Little Red.  I?ve been up to the Little Mo. twice in the last couple of weeks (my first two trips) and did alright, especially using cahills and other light colored dries, and some wet flies.  Fished mostly near Riverside, but a little down near the River Ridge access, with less success at the latter.  I am still finding my way around, and not familiar with names for different spots.  Where?s the Wall Hole? 

Offline john davis

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »
Welcome to the area and the Ill Mo. The Wall Hole is at the Riverside access directly across and above the picnic pavilion. There is a wall there with walkway and small deck. I access the top end of the Wall Hole at the end of the walkway between two trees. You can wade across the top of the Wall Hole and fish mid river to far side. Just be careful wading since there are some large flat rocks that can be very slick. There is a drop off into the "hole" so don't wade too close. Anyway a great place to fish. I fished Tuesday and caught fish from the ramp used for stocking all the way up to where the power line crosses the river, as well as the wall hole. Once they start stocking again in late October, and especially after a few stockings, another great access is Hinds Bluff. It is very popular and can get really crowded. More on that later. Good choice in flies right now. John D

Offline texarkansan

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 09:28:36 AM »
Thanks John!  I appreciate the advice about the Wall Hole - I guess it might have been rather obvious where it was, if I?d though about it, given the presence of the large wall!