Author Topic: Spec. trout fishing in the Gulf  (Read 2054 times)

Offline hen

Spec. trout fishing in the Gulf
« on: May 27, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
Jeff, I'm off to the gulf again to use all those Speckled Trout flies you tied fir me last year...bet they work just as well this year!!!!!  Thanks Jeff--let you know how it works out--back in about a week. Fishing at Coon Point and Whiskey pass in the barrier islands---your an ole cajun,  you know the spot.  Hen 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline TexasJack

Re: Spec. trout fishing in the Gulf
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 07:42:40 PM »
You lucky ole fart,,,,have fun and be safe,,,can't wait to read the fishin report
See ya on the water.....

TJ

Offline jamiefranklin

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:17:38 AM »
I'm going the last weekend in june, been tying alot of clousers and crabs, plus practicing my casting, if anyone that does not know I have been forming a new warm water fishing club around the minden-ruston area. look at our facebook page or for more info please contact me.

Offline JoshK

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »
I'm headed to the Pensacola area next week and thought I'd give the trout and Red Fish a shot.  What type of flies should I use?

Offline hen

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »
I just typed a reply and hit some key and lost it all :-\ :-\ :-\  I'll try it again,  I just got back form the gulf today---had a really bad trip.  The wind and tides at the wrong time is not a speckled trout fisherman's friend.  The water at the barrier islands where we wade fish was like hot chocolate!! The Shrimp were just not running and if they had been they would of had to be within 3 inches of a trout's mouth for them to see them.  I tried various deceivers, various clousers, some rattle shrimp, a couple of different crab flies, glimmer minnows and everything else in my salt water box---- When the conditions are bad just nothing works in the gulf.  For those of you who answered this and are headed to the salt h2o, I wish you blue skies and still winds, with friendly tides.  Ready to get back to the Lil'Mo' but as luck would have it, besides the bad fishing, I twisted my leg and poped my calf getting out of the boat one morning, so will have to wait for that to heal----Hope to see you all soon....Hen :) :) :) :)

Offline Aaron D

• Must be the pretzels
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »
Dang Hen! Sorry to hear about your trip.  :-\  Hopefully our lil mo will be much more kind to you.

Offline TexasJack

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:58:12 AM »
Sorry to hear about the bad fishin. :(  We hope your calf heals up fast so ya can get back to the Lil Mo
See ya on the water.....

TJ

Offline Jeff Guerin

• Administrator
    • Check out my other world!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:03:05 AM »
Not to add insult to injury... Well, of course, that's exactly what I'll do...  8)

Geez, Mike - How can you strain a muscle that doesn't exist?  ;) ;D
Always On The Water - Jeff G

Offline JoshK

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »
Just got back yesterday and as hen said the tides and winds were terrible for fishing. I had one day that was fly rod fishable out of six.  Caught two spec. Trout and one red fish on my spinning rod all week. We were tent camping at Big lagoon state park and Saturday morning from 5 am to noon it rained nonstop while we had to pack up and come home.  The roads were starting to flood. Got home and checked to see how much it had rained and weather.com reported. That 12-15 inches had been reported from Friday night to saturday at noon. Ive never seen so much rain in that short of a time period.  Looking forward to getting a chance to fish the little missouri soon:)

Offline flyfish

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 05:08:28 PM »
Fellows, sorry to hear about the bad fortunes down south.  I'll be trying my luck at the Grand Isle Weekend coming up June 22-24 put on by the Red Stick Fly Fishers out of Baton Rouge.  It's open to all Louisiana and Mississippi club members.  The good part of this trip is you get to eat fresh shrimp on Friday night and Fish Fry on Saturday.  Even if the fish aren't cooperative,  those guys seem to always have enough fish for the Saturday cookout.  I've been skunked several times but hope this year will be as good as last fall's trip.   I'll let you know. 

Offline TexasJack

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 05:52:20 PM »
FF,
        good luck and have a safe trip
See ya on the water.....

TJ

Offline hen

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »
JoshK, sorry you had a trip like I had!!!!! That's why we call it fishing and not catching...still does not make us happy about the conditions, but if we could control the weather....well, we would be rich!!!  At least you are all in one piece. I am still trying to get my leg well to get back to the Lil' Mo.  Maybe in another week or so.  Have not even been able to take advantage of the NEW stocked fish at the Park (that's where I always thought the last batch should be stocked!!)  When you fish the Gulf, it's a whole new ball park, a lot more conditions to take in to consideration---Thank God for the Lil' Mo'---low water and little breeze is normally all we need...  and a little luck!!!!!   Hen 8) 8) 8)

Offline hen

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 07:44:49 PM »
Flyfish...Sorry---I got off without wishing you CALM WINDS AND GOOD TIDES...  Have a great trip, catch all the fish we did not!!!!   Hen

Offline flyfish

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 07:17:37 AM »
Thanks guys....we'll see what happens, but I'll tell the fly fishing truth when I get back!  Honestly.....I promise.