Changes to Generation Schedule

As Best I Can Tell!
RyanClements

Changes to Generation Schedule

Post by RyanClements » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:31 pm

Howdy from College Station,

Planning a guys trip next weekend and it looks like generation 24/7 all week. Have you guys/gals every seen a change to the schedule mid week due to lake level or getting less rain than expected?

UncleShorty

Re: Changes to Generation Schedule

Post by UncleShorty » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:43 pm

I would expect any change in generation to be dependent on what it costs SWEPCO to generate power from the Lake Greeson hydro project.

Power plants are dispached in order from least cost per Megawatt hour to highest cost. If SWEPCO's bid is low enough to get them in the queue they'll generate. If they are high they won't. Hydro power's pretty cheap. And the generation schedule is set a week or ten days in advance. Load matching requires generation when queued. I won't say for certain, but I'd be surprised if the schedule changes at this late date...

Johndavis

Post by Johndavis » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:19 pm

I would not expect any changes unfortunately. The lake is still a little higher than full pool with more rain on the way. Plus there is tremendous drainage into the lake. They may generate until they get the lake level closer to 546', due to prior spring rains and flooding. Hopefully it will get better after this week. Seems like the last few weeks it was either raining or they were generating. I know many of us need some fishing therapy. John D

jeffg
Site Admin

Post by jeffg » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:51 pm

Hey Ryan, I would expect the schedule to hold... Lake is at 548.27' this morning (3/23) and while they are bringing it down slowly, they don't like having it high at this time of year at all!

I suspect there's also a bigger than normal demand for power anticipated with all the people staying home. I've noticed that there are still a lot of businesses open despite the supposed lack of foot traffic. So there's probably some sort of line where the extra demand for households meets up with the lessened demand from businesses.

Be curious to see what comes out for next week. Looks like it's supposed to be a quiet week of weather for a bit.
Always On The Water - in mind at least! :ugeek:

RyanClements

Post by RyanClements » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Thanks guys. Well we are still coming, we always come every year. Looks like we will delay our trip back to Texas until Sunday afternoon and not in the morning. Looks like the corn hole boards will get some work and there will be some empty whiskey bottles. I will try to post if we get any.