Fish Kill

Questions, Comments and Observations
DavidM

Fish Kill

Post by DavidM » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:46 am

Hen, a past member of the old message board, reported hundreds of dead fish in the river and on the banks, within the first half mile below the dam, during the afternoon of August 3rd. He also said that the water condition is very poor. At last report, on August 5th, he had fished a couple of times, and described it as "slow".
This follows a period of 15 days of continuous water release, including about 8 days with a bunger valve open.

BSmith

Re: Fish Kill

Post by BSmith » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:47 am

So I am going to be home in September and was planning to bring my stuff and fish. Is there any truth to this fish kill? Anybody else witness it? I suppose if it was after the release of all the high water recently it was because the water coming off the lake was too warm for the fish. Just a thought.

jeffg
Site Admin

Post by jeffg » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:43 pm

Indeed, factual, I'm afraid. :(

Mike "Hen" Ingram sent me a few shots and I talked to him at length Tuesday as well...

I suspect that we've got bad water coming off the lake after they shut off the Bunger valves. That was the time frame where Mike started to see dead fish. Certainly a lot of debris was washed into the lake from all sides with 15 inches of rain from Barry! That would put a layer of warm and trash filled water into the lake which will eat up available oxygen at a certain level and, apparently, that level is coming through the generators now.

Mike said the numbers of dead fish were the highest he'd ever seen. Way worse than what we might see in a typical June ant hatch. It hasn't gotten all the fish, but the stock has been depleted! He said he only landed about a half dozen Monday morning, which as many of you may have observed, is way off of his usual catch rate.

He did say that the water, though still pretty messed up, was slowly starting to clear up a bit, so maybe the worst is over. :?

I'm going to be up there tomorrow and will get everyone a first hand account on my part.
Always On The Water - in mind at least! :ugeek:

BSmith

Post by BSmith » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks Jeff. You hate to see these things but there isn't much you can do considering the amount of rainfall. I look forward to hearing about what you find as well. And you're correct about Mike and his catch rate. Most of those fish probably have had a Mike Ingram fly in their mouth at least once..