Flooding - July, 2019

Registration info, Questions, Comments and Observations
jeffg
Site Admin

Flooding - July, 2019

Post by jeffg » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:28 pm

Well, here we go again! In case you haven't seen the weather of the day, southern Arkansas from the mountains down to I-30 just got epically flooded overnight into the mid day today!

I'm talking 15-16 inches in some places! :shock:

The Upper River gauge at Langley shot up to 18.54 feet at noon today. Up 14 feet in 12 hours! That's sent the lake into significant flood at 556.29 feet (flood pool is 548') - that's a rise of 10 feet in 15 hours... :(

This is going to be a serious situation for weeks more than likely. The lake hasn't been even close to this since the last time it topped the spill way (563') which of course was last year, spring 2018! I'm not going to say it's likely this time, but the potential is certainly there if we get any more big water coming in.

This is most unusual for this time of year - to be going into a high water event. Three of the four times the spillway has been topped were in May and then March of last year.

They may hold water for a couple or three days, until downstream flooding subsides, but after that expect to see 24/7 water for several weeks... :(
Always On The Water - in mind at least! :ugeek:

jeffg
Site Admin

Re: Flooding - July, 2019

Post by jeffg » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:31 pm

The pictures I've seen on the Weather Channel and Facebook have been staggering. Dierks and Nashville got hammered. I haven't seen anything from The Boro yet except out the Muddy Fork Road - past Low Water Bridge. Road totally washed over... :(

jimr

Post by jimr » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:59 am

So jeff, I was planning on fishing this Saturday. Have you found out anything about the what the river looks like now? Last time I called the corp. at the lake they said they would not generate for sometime until the flood down river subsides. Would going to the park be bad?

jimr

jeffg
Site Admin

Post by jeffg » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:50 pm

At this point the gauge at Boughton is showing well below their threshold for letting water go.

I'd suspect we're going to see full crank up if it hasn't in fact already started! :roll:

Of course, I may well be wrong - they were scheduled to only run a few hours tomorrow and Sunday afternoon. I have my serious doubts that will remain the case. I'd expect high water... For several weeks!

Lake is at 557.78' - still right at ten feet over flood pool! Hopefully we will have normal summer conditions for the immediate future and they can start moving that water fast!

jeffg
Site Admin

Post by jeffg » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:02 pm

By the way, SWEPCO schedule for next week indeed shows 24/7 three generators starting midnight Sunday.

Don't be surprised if they open Bunger valves as well. Since the AR 27 gauge went from 3.29' to 4.82' in the last two hours, expect that to go to at least 5.5' tonight. If it goes higher than that the Bungers are open as well.

jeffg
Site Admin

Post by jeffg » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:46 am

Lake is just now to 556.71 feet at 10:00 this morning. I assume that at least one Bunger Valve is open based on the steady 6' reading at HWY 27.

The good news is that this is almost half a foot down in the last 24 hours and only minimal rain currently in the region and drainage.

BUT, still 8 feet to go before we can start looking at any possible shut down. Do the simple math - two weeks before we get close... However, as the lake gets lower they can drop more water off faster. So by this time next week they could be dropping .75 of a foot every 24 hours.

Normal high water scenario IF we stay seasonally dry... 8-)

jeffg
Site Admin

Post by jeffg » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:03 pm

:o Looks like they went full Bungers around mid day today! They dropped the lake nine tenths of a foot in tne last 24 hours!!!

I like it! :-)

jeffg
Site Admin

Post by jeffg » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Getting a foot of water off every 24 hours!

Just may get normal water as SWEPCO is currently predicting!

jeffg
Site Admin

Post by jeffg » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:09 am

:) Lake is below 550' for the first time since July 16!