• Welcome to Little Missouri Fly Fishing.

16 August 2024 “46 days of minimum flow on the Lil’ Mo’”

Started by HEN, Aug 16, 2024, 10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HEN

The Corp has been running one bunger valve at 7% for 46 days now. Makes the river kinda like an early spring Idaho river, except for the silt!!  Sometimes the water looks clearer but the river bottom is so dirty it's hard to tell. I'm still catching about the same number of fish that I do any other year at this time. Water temp over the entire 6 miles of river from the dam to low water bridge is about 54 degrees.

Janet Fant posted the following on the Facebook site, friend's of lake Greason, yesterday:
            * Money has been allocated to repair the dam

* Project to begin near the end of September 2024

* Projected to draw down to approximately 534', which is normal for that that time of year. 

* plan is to work during the draw down, continuing until they get to the 534, then continue more as they bring levels back up(to try to stay ahead of the rise).

That's more than I've heard so thank you Janet. Don't have a clue what this will do to this years trout season.  Will they still stock? When will they start the draw down? Lots of unanswered questions. I've tried to contact Ryan Gary, the trout biologist for this river, but he is not answering my texts or calls!  Guess I pissed him off some time or another??  The lake is currently at about 544.  To pull it down 10 foot will take about 20 days, so they may start really soon.

Will post again as I know more and things start to happen.